Thursday 10 July 2008

I wasted my evening so I wanna rant...

Gosh, I believe that last night I watched the worst movie (by a mile!!) of my entire life – The Forbidden Kingdom. I'm going to tell the story, but don't worry, its so bad that it won't spoil anything if you decide to go watch it. Basically, its about this Ang Mo boy who's fascinated with Kung Fu. While falling off the roof of a building, he was teleported to thousands of years before in an ancient mystical Chinese kingdom (where people could fly). In this mystical kingdom, the Jade Warlord has imprisoned the Monkey God in a jade statute and it is up to this ANG MO boy to bring him his magical staff to save him(why did the Director, out of everything in the world, choose an ang mo loser kid to save the monkey god??). Anyway, the knockout bit was that the Chinese ppl from ancient times could speak ENGLISH!!! And bad English at best… can you imagine Jackie Chan and Jet Li fighting Kung Fu going "Wow, mantis style, but can that fight against Tiger style??!!" – OK I admit, this show was targeted at the American market to bluff the stupid ang mos, but I really doubt they would find Chinese Kung Fu masters speaking English during ancient times authentic! Oh, and there's another character, xiao yan zhi (she calls herself "sparrow" in the movie) who speaks like Yoda… imagine a Chinese Kung Fu girl speaking english like Yoda! Oh, and at some bits, the director decided they can speak mandarin afterall, though most of them spoke English… Its like all these Chinese people were bilingual… I realised the bits where they spoke English were when the Ang Mo boy was around – so he could understand. Why in the world do they want to "force" his out-of-place character in the movie really baffles me.

Anyway, in the words of the Jade Warlord of the movie, this show was certainly "ex-cellent-teh". OK – rant over.

Weekend is coming soon. Tomorrow we are going to watch the musical – Dirty Dancing.... Oh and I've just confirmed our holiday cottage for Christmas!
http://www.rhos-cottages.co.uk/betwsbach.htm

1 comment:

Stephie said...

The cottage is so pretty. It reminds me of the cottages in the show "The Holiday".